Although some initial meetings between Tamil asylum seekers and advisers have begun, the Nauru detention camp remains in turmoil.
Around 20 people remain on hunger strike and another Iranian asylum seeker attempted to hang himself last night.
He had been cut down and taken to the camp medical centre but his condition was unknown.
Meanwhile, the final one of the 10 asylum seekers who had stitched their lips together on 19 February was transferred to the Australian mainland on Wednesday.
The 20 March edition of the Nauru Bulletin reports that five Nauruan “refugee status determination officers” have been flown to Melbourne for further training with the Department of Immigration and Citizenship.
The Nauru Bulletin says that assessment interviews for the asylum seekers are expected to begin on 25 March, “provided that applications are completed by then.”
Afghan man to be returned to Manus Island
Asylum seekers at Villawood detention centre have serious concerns at moves to transfer an Afghan man to Manus Island.
The Afghan asylum seekers in his 50s recently had surgery for a double hernia, but had been placed in isolation yesterday in preparation for his removal.
“He is not well enough to be sent back,” Villawood asylum seekers told the Refugee Action Coalition, “He cannot sit or walk properly.”
The Refugee Action Coalition is calling on the PNG government to prevent the Australian government returning asylum seekers to Manus Island.
“Manus Island is no fit place for any asylum seeker and the future of the detention camp is in serious doubt. Nineteen people were transferred to the Australian mainland last week because the medical facilities there are completely inadequate. We hope that the PNG government’s halt on further transfers to Manus Island will be extended to the Afghan man in Villawood,” said Ian Rintoul, spokesperson for the Refugee Action Coalition.
The constitutional challenge by PNG Opposition leader Belden Namah, to Australia’s Manus Island detention camp, will have a further directions hearing in the PNG Supreme Court on 27 March.
For further information, contact Ian Rintoul 0417 275 713
