Refugee Action Coalition Sydney (RAC) was established in 1999 to campaign for the rights of refugees trying to seek asylum in Australia. You can see a listing of some of our recent major actions here, and some older events on our old archived website. We are an open grassroots coalition from a broad section of the community. RAC focuses on grassroots organising; distribution of information; educational forums; speakers; lobbying and organising demonstrations, rallies, marches and other actions.
RAC meets every Monday at 6pm at Level 1, 23-33 Mary St, Surry Hills (Teachers Federation building), walking distance from Central station. For details ring/text Ian on 0417 275 713 or email refugeeactionsyd [at] gmail.com
“Like” our Facebook page at this link to receive Facebook updates in your news feed
For email updates and announcements, join our email list by sending an email to racnsw-subscribe [at] yahoogroups.com
Our key demands are:
- An end to mandatory detention and the closure of all detention centres;
- Permanent residency and full rights for refugees; Not Temporary Protection Visas which restrict access to welfare and family reunion;
- Funding for resettlement of asylum seekers or refugees;
- No forced deportation of asylum seekers or refugees;
- An amnesty for escapees from detention and those refugees who protest their imprisonment;
- An end to racist scapegoating of refugees.
- Refugees are welcome – Let the boats land – no third country processing
- Decriminalise people smuggling – free the Indonesian boat crews, no mandatory sentencing.
You can donate to RAC by:
Sending a cheque made out to “Refugee Action Coalition” to PO Box 375 Strawberry Hills NSW 2012 or
Making a direct deposit to Account Number: 10118562, Account name: RAC, BSB: 062018 at the Commonwealth Bank
RAC strategy is formed using the following principles:
JUSTICE We oppose all forms of oppression, racism,discrimination, and dispossession.
SOLIDARITY We work to support people suffering injustice and use their struggle and demands as the basis for our action.
COLLABORATION We will work with any person or organisation willing to help achieve RAC aims on the basis of mutual respect and recognition.
RADICALISM We do not oppose confronting authorities directly where necessary and we will consider employing acts of civil disobedience as part of the overall strategy to achieve our goals.