Ten refugees leave Nauru for resettlement after seven years

Ten refugees held on Nauru by the Australian government for over seven years left Nauru this morning (Thursday 17 March) to be resettled – nine in the US and one in Norway.

Three of the refugees are bound for resettlement in Texas, where over 12,000 people have died of COVID-19, a figure that highlights the dangers associated with resettlement in the US in the midst of its shocking mismanagement of the pandemic.

Over 400 refugees have so far been transferred to the US under the US resettlement deal. Around 160 refugees and asylum seekers on Nauru still need secure resettlement.

Hundreds more in PNG also remain in limbo as the US resettlement deal inches to a close.

“It is shocking that the Australian government is still sending refugees to an uncertain future in the US, when they should be resettled, safely and securely, in Australia,” said Ian Rintoul, spokesperson for the Refugee Action Coalition

“The government should bring all those waiting on Nauru and in PNG to live with permanent visas in Australia,” said Rintoul, “The government has a duty of care to all the people they forcibly expelled to Nauru in 2013. There are people who were approved for transfer to Australia for medical treatment almost twelve months ago, but they are still being deliberately held on Nauru.“

“It’s time offshore detention was ended. It is still taking a terrible toll on those who are being held on the prison island.”

For more information contact Ian Rintoul 0417 275 713

Follow us

Latest news